Government and Federal Employees

Government and Federal Employees in Maryland Divorce

Employees of federal, state, and local governments often need special representation in a divorce. If their pensions are governed by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) or Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), they are subject to unique rules. Your lawyer must understand how to handle government pensions and benefits in divorce.

At Avery & Upton, we represent numerous military, federal and government employees in Maryland family law cases. We have experience with overseas divorce and child custody cases, and can represent people all over the world via phone, Internet and fax. If you are a government employee or spouse of a government employee, you can rely on our attorneys for all legal matters related to divorce and custody, including complex property division.

Pensions and Health Care Benefits

With our experience in military divorce and pension division, we understand the complexities of dividing federal employee benefits. We know how to divide pension plans under the Federal Employees Retirement System and Civil Service Retirement System. If you have a federal government or civil service employee pension, we can draft a court order acceptable for processing (COAP) by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for dividing pensions in a divorce.

In addition to retirement benefits, we can assist you with health care benefits. Federal employee families have similar rights to health care as military families. Former spouses awarded FERS or CSRS benefits or survivor annuities by a court order may be able to enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP). We can help you with this process.

We represent employees from numerous federal government agencies such as the Pentagon, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), National Security Agency (NSA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Homeland Security, and Department of Labor.

Contact Us To Discuss Division Of Federal Employee Pensions

To schedule an appointment, please call our Rockville office at 301-762-7644, or contact us online.

Schedule a Consultation with Us

Helpful Client Tools

Contact Avery & Upton